Save The Date!
AF Association Global AF Aware Week | 18 - 24 November 2019
AF Association Global AF Aware Week 2018
Atrial Fibrillation, or AF, is the most common arrhythmia (heart rhythm disorder). Over 1.5 million people have been diagnosed with AF in the UK alone, although experts estimate that at least 500,000 people remain undiagnosed. This number is expected to double by 2050.
This year, we are promoting the message ‘Know Your Pulse to Know Your Heart Rhythm’. Knowing your pulse is the easiest way to detect an arrhythmia, and we want our supporters to help us spread the word.
We are also promoting our Detect, Protect, Correct & Perfect campaign, more information can be seen below.
About AF Association Global AF Aware Week
On Wednesday 21 November 2018 during AF Association Global AF Aware Week, we held an All Party Parliamentary Group meeting at the Palace of Westminster, London.
The event was hosted by Barry Sheerman MP and we were joined by many healthcare professionals, MP's and patients. Speakers included Professor A. John Camm, renowned Professor of Cardiology and Professor Jamie Waterall from Public Health England.
A White Paper on AF was launched which outlines four key areas of change to address the pressing challenge that inequalities and unmet needs in access to AF-related stroke prevents. Read the White Paper here.
Professor Camm also presented certificates to the AF Association Healthcare Pioneers 2019 report winners. This report recognises best practice in the identification, diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) and is used as a benchmark to improve services and care for the patients with AF. Read more
AF Association Trudie Lobban Founder and CEO - What are your goals for AF Association Global AF Aware Week?
There are so many ways to get involved with this year's #AFAwareWeek
- Hold an AF Awareness Activity: Seek out and identify the undiagnosed person with AF. You can do this in collaboration with your healthcare centre, workplace, or community group. We have a large number of resources which can be downloaded from our website, or ordered to you.
- Share and Display our Information: Raise awareness of the importance of Detect, Protect, Correct and Perfect at your health centre, workplace, or community group.
|Booklets||Factsheets||Checklists||Resources for Healthcare Professionals|
|Posters||Battling AF Online||Videos||International Resources|
Fundraise and Donate: Simply make a donation to enable us to continue to raise awareness and offer support.
By Phone - please call us on 01789 867 502
By Post - send a cheque to: AF Association, Unit 6B, Essex House, Cromwell Business Park, Chipping Norton, OX7 5SR
Or, you could go the extra mile, why not bake some goodies to sell, hold a coffee morning, a quiz night, or create your own event? You can order t-shirts and collection boxes from our shop.
- One in four people will develop AF; it affects an estimated 1.5 million people across the UK and in excess of 16 million people worldwide.
- AF can be detected cheaply and easily with a simple manual pulse check.
- Every 15 seconds someone suffers an AF-related stroke, yet most can be prevented using appropriate anticoagulation therapy.
- AF and AF related illness costs the NHS over £2.2 billion each year
For further information on AF Association Global AF Aware Week contact firstname.lastname@example.org / +44 (0) 1789 867 501.